All about food
Recipe – кулинарный рецепт
Pan – сковорода, кастрюля
Grain – зерно
Left-overs – остатки
Grocery – магазин бакалейных товаров
Dinnerware – столовая посуда
Сookware – кухонная утварь
Digestion – пищеварение, переваривание пищи, усвоение пищи
Obesity – тучность, ожирение
Carbohydrates – углеводы
Fats – жиры
Proteins – белки
To chew – жевать, пережёвывать пищу
To swallow – ныть, хныкать
To choke – подавиться
To vomit – страдать рвотой, тошнить, рвать, блевать
To saute – жарить в масле
To steam – готовить на пару
To stew – тушить, томить
To eat out – питаться вне дома
To be in charge of smth. – отвечать за что-л.
1. Сookware – pots, pans, or dishes for cooking food.
2. Digestion – the process of breaking down food by mechanical and enzymatic action in the stomach and intestines into substances that can be used by the body.
3. Grain – wheat or any other cultivated cereal crop used as food.
4. Obesity – fatness, corpulence.
5. To steam – to cook (food) by heating it in steam from boiling water.
6. You've been chewing away all afternoon, you can't still be hungry.
7. I took a swallow of brandy.
8. He choked with the bones.
9. He was vomiting blood.
10. She spent hours in the kitchen, learning to make puddings and pies, and trying all sorts of receipts.
Hi. This is Cari. I’m a teacher with the online english school, EnglishDom.com. Today, I’m going to talk with you about food! The saying goes, "you are what you eat." So, why do you eat? Do you eat because you have to? Do you eat because you enjoy it? Do you eat for nutritional support or emotional support? Or maybe, it just depends on your mood.
(Um) Often, the food we eat or the way we eat depends on our lifestyle. Many people like to eat out. That means they go to restaurants to eat. Maybe a sit-down restaurant or maybe a fast food restaurant. But, when you eat out, you’re most likely eating processed food. That means canned food or frozen food; foods that are prepared ahead of time, not fresh food.
Another option is to stay in. That means you eat at home. Hopefully, you’re not eating processed foods at home, although that’s very common these days because they’re more convenient. But, ideally, you would be eating home-cooked meals with some fresh food, your favorite recipes or favorite recipes from your childhood, maybe.
(Um) When you’re staying home, you also often have the option of having comfort foods. Comfort foods are those foods that make us feel better. Maybe we’re sick and we want some chicken soup or we’re feeling happy and we make some chocolate chip cookies (maybe even some brownies) or, any foods that remind you of good memories from when you were a child, things that help you feel better.
So, what are some of your favorite foods? Do you have favorite recipes? Do you like foods from different cultures? Please join us in the forum on our Facebook page or in one of our discussion clubs to share your ideas about food and eating and lifestyles. We look forward to hearing from you soon. Feel English and feel free! Bye for now…
One who eats plain food is healthy.
One who eats alone cannot discuss the taste of the food with others.
What is food to one, is to others bitter poison.
A lady went running to a doctor with a badly spoiled stomach. "What did you eat for dinner last night?" asked the doctor. "Oysters," she said. "Fresh oysters?" asked the doctor. "How should I know?" said the lady "Well," asked the doctor, "couldn't you tell when you took off the shells?" "My Gosh," gasped the lady. "Are you supposed to take off the shells?"
List of questions for discussion
1. How often do you think about food?
2. Can you eat anything?
3. Can you live without food for the whole day?
4. What is your favourite breakfast, lunch and dinner?
5. Have your favourite kinds of food changed over the years?
6. Do you think your country’s food is the best?
7. What do you think about canned, frozen and processed food?
8. What kinds of international cuisine do you like?
9. Are you fussy or particular about the food you eat?
10. Have you ever complained in a restaurant, hotel, airplane or train?
11. Do you like fast food?
12. What do you think about food additives?
13. Do you care where the food you eat comes from?
14. What national dishes from your country would you recommend to the world?
15. What do you think about genetically modified (GM) food?
Для обсуждения данной темы присоединяйтесь к разговорным клубам. Студентам индивидуального курса разговорные клубы предоставляются бесплатно. А если вы предпочитаете обучение в формате разговорных клубов, записывайтесь на групповые занятия.