Accident – несчастный случай, катастрофа, авария
Unintentionally – непреднамеренно, неумышленно
Injury – вред, повреждение, порча
Work-related accident – несчастный случай на производстве, производственная травма
Workman’s compensation – пособие по нетрудоспособности
Insurance policy – страховой полис
Initial treatment – первая помощь (до прибытия скорой помощи)
Reason – причина, повод, основание
Subconscious – подсознательный (о восприятии), неосознанный
Purpose – цель, намерение, замысел
To recover – приводить (кого-л.) в чувство (после обморока), исцелять, вылечивать
To recuperate – поправляться, выздоравливать
To avoid – избегать, остерегаться, сторониться
To suspect – подозревать (кого-л.), сомневаться в истинности (чего-л.)
To prevent – предотвращать, предупреждать, мешать
Accidentally on purpose – случайно нарочно
There are no accidents. – Нет ничего случайного.
Don’t cry over spilt milk. – Не стоит плакать над сбежавшим молоком. (Что упало, то пропало – русская пословица.)
She’s an accident waiting to happen. – Ходить по лезвию ножа.
Accidents will happen. – Аварии случаются.
1. To prevent – to stop something from happening.
2. Unintentionally – not deliberate or planned.
3. To recover – to become fit and healthy again after an illness or injury.
4. Accident – a crash involving a car, train, plane, or other vehicle.
5. Subconscious – relating to thoughts or feelings that you have but do not think about, or do not realize you have.
6. A rapid examination also failed to reveal any sign of injury to the bodies.
7. He was recuperating well. In a day or two, he would be ready to get out of bed.
8. They are buying your work, not your insurance policies.
9. No doubt they will give me no peace if they begin to suspect, but ...let them!
10. Here we have a reason. The rest doesn't matter.
Hello. This is Cari from the online English school, EnglishDom.com. This week we're going to talk about accidents. Accidents are things that happen unintentionally, meaning we didn't mean to do that, it wasn't on purpose.
There's many different kinds of accidents: car accidents, work accidents, accidents in the home… If you're not careful and you have a serious accident, you might end up "laid up" for a while (like) in bed, like this, recovering or recuperating.
So, car accidents… car accidents are very common, unfortunately. Here in Mexico, it's interesting because I don't see a lot of car accidents but people drive like maniacs here! I'm always surprised that there's less accidents than I expect. However, when there is an accident, it's usually pretty severe or with pretty grave injuries. In the U.S., there's a lot of car accidents. Although, I think people there do tend to drive more carefully so I don't know what the deal is, but it's interesting.
(Um) If you have a work-related accident, in the U.S., you often are covered by what's called Workman's Compensation. That's an insurance policy that the employers have to have for the employees in case they get hurt on the job. And, if your accident is sever enough, then you may have to be on disability, which means that you get some money from the insurance; you get paid even though you're not working, until you're able to work again. Or, unfortunately, some people are on disability for the rest of their lives.
Another idea related to accidents is the idea of First Aid, sometimes it's called First Responders, but in the U.S., normally we call it First Aid. This is people who know how to help at the scene of an accident and give initial treatment before the paramedics arrive. First Aid is always good to know, especially if you have children or elderly people in the home.
(Um) If someone is accident prone, it means that they tend to have a lot of accidents or they get involved in accidents very easily. This could be something as simple as running into the door while you're trying to walk or dropping something on your foot. (Um) If you're accident is serious enough, you might have to go to the hospital or to the emergency department. That happened to me once when a Coke bottle fell over and cut open my toe and I had to go to emergency and get stitched up.
Having insurance is important if you have a lot of accidents or maybe one serious accident. Insurance can help pay the medical bills. Unfortunately, in the United States, a lot of people don't have insurance and that causes a lot of health-related problems because people avoid going to the hospital or to the doctor because they don't have money to pay for it. Obama's currently working on that situation…we'll see what happens with that.
And, let's see…some phrases or idioms that we could use related to accidents are:
She's an accident waiting to happen! That means that person is just always on the verge (or on the edge) of having something bad happen to them.
Accidents will happen! That means things happen sometimes that we can't control and we have to accept it and deal with it.
Don't cry over spilled (spilt) milk. This is if an accident does happen and it's not that serious, don';t get upset about it. Just "Clean up the milk" so to speak and move on.
There are no accidents. This is taken from the idea of psychology and Freudism, that everything really happens for a reason or for a purpose or maybe there's some subconscious reason that we do things that cause accidents.
And the last one means, or is, accidentally on purpose. Very similar to the last idiom… accidentally on purpose is when we say we do things by accident but other people suspect that really we had a reason for doing what we did.
So, I hope these idioms are clear. If they're not, please join us in one of our discussion clubs to discuss the idea with fellow students and with a teacher. We look forward to hearing from you.
We look forward to seeing you on our Facebook page where you can share your ideas in writing.
We hope to hear from you very soon. Feel English and feel free. Bye for now.
About 40% of crashes that are fatal involve alcohol. If the accident takes place between midnight and 3am the percentage increases to about 75%.
"Did you ever observe to whom the accidents happen? Chance favors only the prepared mind."
If the lady of the house breaks something it is an unfortunate accident; if the servant does, then it is a terrible disaster.
A woman didn't come home one night. The next morning she told her husband that she had slept over at a friend's house. The man called his wife's 10 best friends. None of them knew anything about it.
A man didn't come home 1 night. The next morning he told his wife that he had slept over at a friends house. The wife called her husband's 10 best friends. 8 of them confirmed that he had slept over and 2 said he was still there.
List of questions for discussion
1. Have you ever had any work-related accidents?
2. Have you ever received compensation for an accident?
3. Have you ever visited the accidents and emergencies department of a hospital?
4. What do you think of the expression "he/she was an accident", meaning his/her parents didn’t plan on having him/her?
5. Have you ever made an insurance claim for an accident?
6. Do you think there’ll be another major nuclear accident?
7. What do you remember about the Space Shuttle accidents?
8. Have you ever run into an old friend by accident?
9. What do you think "accidentally on purpose" means?
10. What was the last tragic accident you read about?
11. Do you know what to do or how to treat people in an accident?
12. Do you know anyone who is "an accident waiting for somewhere to happen"?
13. Have you ever had any accident prevention training?
14. How often are there major rail accidents in your country?
15. Do you worry about having accidents?
Для обсуждения данной темы присоединяйтесь к разговорным клубам. Студентам индивидуального курса разговорные клубы предоставляются бесплатно. А если вы предпочитаете обучение в формате разговорных клубов, записывайтесь на групповые занятия.