Alcohol – алкоголь, спирт
Substance – вещество, содержание, суть, сущность, существо
Drunk – напившийся, пьяный
Alcoholic – алкоголик
Social drinker – социальный алкоголик
Binge drinking – пьянство
Beverage – напиток
Consumption – потребление, расход
Dose – порция, доза
Intoxication – опьянение, возбуждение, упоение, интоксикация
To consume – потреблять, расходовать, поглощать, тратить
To cause – быть причиной, вызывать, побуждать
To produce – производить, выпускать, вырабатывать, изготовлять
To prevent – предотвращать, предупреждать, мешать, препятствовать, оберегать
To impair – ослаблять, снижать, уменьшать, ухудшать, повреждать, портить
To excrete – выделять, извергать
He drinks like a fish. – Он пьет как сапожник.
I’ll drink you under the table. – Я перепью тебя под столом.
Can’t handle the liquor. – Не выношу выпивку.
Can’t handle his drink. – Не выношу его пьянства.
1. Drunk – unable to control your actions or behaviour because you have drunk too much alcohol.
2. Consumption – the use of something such as fuel or energy, or the amount that people use.
3. To cause – to make something happen, usually something bad.
4. To impair – to make something less good or effective, especially by causing damage that affects the way something works.
5. Beverage – a drink.
6. Is there any substance to their claim?
7. Nowadays we can see a disturbing rise in binge drinking among young people.
8. He was in a hard state of intoxication.
9. Nothing shall prevent us from reaching our aim!
10. The nervous force is consumed equally in mental and in bodily exertion.
Hello, my name is Andrew and if you haven’t seen any of my other podcasts and it’s your first time, then pleased to meet you. I’m a teacher with the EnglishDom and I’m here to talk about alcohol. What is alcohol? I’m sure you all have a bit of an idea.
Alcohol can be used for running cars, deicing cars, drinking, cleaning up wounds, cleaning the floor. We drink it, we clean the floor with it and it runs machines, it’s quite a universal substance is alcohol.
So alcohol can be a substance that gets you extremely drunk and maybe you might drink Monday to Sunday but you would probably be called an alcoholic and maybe you want to, you know, stop it, it will definitely kill you. If you drink Friday and Saturday, you are called a social drinker. If you drink a small amount of alcohol, let’s just say 4 beers and 2 vodkas, Friday and Saturday it would be called social drinking, or there about. But in our country, our government has given the term binge drinking.
Binge drinking is where you drink as much alcohol as your body will allow you without vomiting and you do this maybe Friday and Saturday or Friday or Saturday, so that’s binge drinking and we do have some idioms attached to drinking. He drinks like a fish. I’ll drink you under the table.
What do these mean. So when a fish swims he constantly drinks and this would probably be aimed at somebody who is not a social drinker, somebody who really likes a drink, as we would say.
We would also have something like, can’t handle the liquor, can’t handle his drink. These are the idiots that normally drink and fight with each other but we do have lots of idioms and phrases attached to alcohol, maybe you should type this into Google and you will find many, many more. I don’t have time to talk about them now but that’s all from me on alcohol, so remember if you drink from Monday to Sunday, maybe you should think about things.
My names Andrew thank you very much for watching this podcast. I hope you have learned something , so yet again, fell English and feel free.
One 12-ounce beer has about the same amount of alcohol as one 5-ounce glass of wine, or 1.5-ounce shot of liquor.
The first thing in the human personality that dissolves in alcohol is dignity.
Water is the only drink for a wise man.
A man was walking through a rather seedy section of town, when a bum walked up to him and asked the man for two dollars.
The man asked, "Will you buy booze?"
The bum replied, "No."
Then the man asked, "Will you gamble it away?"
The bum said, "No."
Then the man asked the bum, "Will you come home with me so my wife can see what happens to a man who doesn't drink or gamble?"
List of questions for discussion
1. What is your favorite alcoholic drink?
2. How often do you drink?
3. Do you ever…/How often do you…drink to excess?
4. Why do you drink alcoholic drinks?
5. Is alcohol a drug?
6. Should governments allow people to drink products that make people violent?
7. Are the drinking and driving laws in your country too strict?
8. How does alcohol change your behavior, personality and face?
9. What are the most popular forms of alcohol in your country?
10. What part does alcohol play in the culture of your country?
11. What do you think of very drunk people?
12. Alcohol is forbidden in Islam. Is this good?
13. Do you think people from different countries act differently when drunk?
14. Have you ever said or done something under the influence of alcohol that you later regretted?
15. What is the best cure for a hangover?
Для обсуждения данной темы присоединяйтесь к разговорным клубам. Студентам индивидуального курса разговорные клубы предоставляются бесплатно. А если вы предпочитаете обучение в формате разговорных клубов, записывайтесь на групповые занятия.