Backpack – рюкзак (туристический)
Rucksack – рюкзак, походный мешок
Camp – лагерь
Globetrotter – много путешествующий человек
Recreation – восстановление здоровья, душевных и физических сил
Baggage – багаж
Sleeping bag – спальный мешок
Tent – палатка
Torch – фонарь, факел
Flashlight – карманный фонарик
Сampfire – костёр
Sleeping mat – каремат
Сhargrill – мангал
Tinned stewed meat – тушенка
Thermos – термос
Pot – котелок
Bandage – бинт
To hike – гулять, ходить пешком, путешествовать на любом транспорте
To depart – отправляться, уходить, уезжать (куда-л.)
To scramble – карабкаться, взбираться
To wander – бродить, странствовать, скитаться
1. Rucksack – a bag with shoulder straps that allow it to be carried on someone's back, typically made of a strong, waterproof material and widely used by hikers; a backpack.
2. Hike – a long walk, esp. in the country or wilderness.
3. Recreation – activity done for enjoyment when one is not working.
4. Baggage – personal belongings packed in suitcases for traveling.
5. Sleeping bag – a warm lined padded bag to sleep in, esp. when camping.
6. The society was divided into two enemy camps.
7. This train departs from London at 10.00 a.m.
8. We lighted a campfire.
9. This man was found wandering about with no money or papers.
10. We slept on the sleeping mats.
Hello, my name is Andrew and I’m a teacher with the online english school, EnglishDom and today I’m going to talk about Backpacking, but firstly we will talk about a backpack. What is a backpack? Well a backpack is a big rucksack that goes on your back. You use this instead of a suitcase and many young people prefer to use this while going abroad. You can also use a backpack while hiking, walking, camping. Let’s say it is very easy to travel and carry around with you.
The second phrase or term we will look at is backpacking. Backpacking is different to backpack. Backpacking means traveling from country to country to country. I have done a lot of backpacking.
I have been to Australia, Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Europe, Ukraine and Lithuania. So I have done a lot of backpacking in my life and without my backpack, it would be a great pain in the bottom, but I shall not go in to that any further.
The next term I will tell you about is backpackers. Now backpackers is something very different to backpacking and backpack, because backpackers means, hotel or a hostel or a youth hostel, where many young people go and stay because it’s a lot cheaper than a hotel or renting an apartment let’s say.
You might end up sharing with 20 people in one room. I can honestly say now that in the morning this is one horrible episode that I probably won’t do again in my life.
Lots of young people do this but 20 people in one room can become amazingly smelly, lots of snoring, people getting up at 3 o’clock in the morning rustling bags.
So sleep can be very much interrupted, not the best night’s sleep you will ever experience in your life, so we have backpack, backpackers, backpacking.
Backpack is the big rucksack on your back.
Backpacking is traveling and backpacker is a hotel or a hostel, somewhere cheap to stay, accommodation.
We only have maybe 2 idioms that are connected to backpacking and this would be Globe trotter, meaning that the Globe, being the earth and trotter meaning, you go from one place to another place to another place, or Shoe string budget.
A shoe string budget means you travel with not a lot of money, just a little bit of money. You have a backpack and you travel to one country and work a little bit, go to another country and work a little more, go to another country and work a little more.
Well that’s all from me.
I hope that helped you in some way on your travels, so from me Andrew at the EnglishDom, feel English and feel free.
People get to know one another when backpacking.
A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
A tourist was being led through the jungles of Brazil.
"Is it true," he asked, "that a crocodile won’t attack you if you carry a flashlight?"
"That depends," replied the guide, "on how fast you carry the flashlight."
List of questions for discussion
1. Have you ever been backpacking?
2. What are the advantages of backpacking?
3. Is backpacking better than a package holiday?
4. What do you think when you see backpackers in your country?
5. Have you ever stayed at a backpackers or similar budget accommodation?
6. Is backpacking generally something for younger people?
7. How do you think backpacking around the world would change a person?
8. Is it better to go backpacking alone or with friends?
9. Which is better, a backpack or a suitcase?
10. What are the negative points or dangers of backpacking?
11. What are the essential items to put in a backpack?
12. Would you prefer to go on a 2 week luxury cruise or go backpacking for six months?
13. In which countries would you most and least like to go backpacking?
14. Would you like to go backpacking around your own country?
15. Do you think backpackers are similar to hippies?
Для обсуждения данной темы присоединяйтесь к разговорным клубам. Студентам индивидуального курса разговорные клубы предоставляются бесплатно. А если вы предпочитаете обучение в формате разговорных клубов, записывайтесь на групповые занятия.