Baldness – облысение
Reversing – реверсирование, изменение направления на обратное
Head – голова, волосы (на голове)
Testosterone – тестостерон
Byproduct – побочный продукт
Resemblance – похожесть, сходство, схожесть
Lack – недостаток, нужда, отсутствие (чего-л.)
Partial – частичный, неполный, частный
Complete – полный, целый, законченный, завершённый
DHT – (Dihydrotestosterone) – дигидротестостерон
Stress – стресс, напряжённое состояние
Process of loosing hair – процесс потери волос
Go bald – лысеть
Characterize – характеризовать, описывать, определять
Contribute – содействовать, способствовать, делать вклад
Diagnose – ставить диагноз, диагностировать, распознавать, выявлять, устанавливать
Prevent – предотвращать, предохранять, предупреждать, препятствовать
Slap head – шлепать по голове
Spam head – очень большой лоб
Bald as a coot – лысый, плешивый
Bald as a baby’s backside – лысый, как детская задница
1. Baldness – with little or no hair on your head.
2. Testosterone – a chemical substance produced in the body that causes men to develop the physical features that are typical of males.
3. Resemblance – similar, especially in appearance.
4. Partial – not complete.
5. Byproduct – a product that is made as a result of making another product.
6. Tephanis slapped his head and stamped his feet so rapidly that he dug himself a little hole.
7. I started going bald in my twenties.
8. Regular cleaning may help prevent infection.
9. Overworked managers suffering from stress and anxiety.
10. These questions help doctors diagnose personality disorders.
Hello my name is Andrew, I’m a teacher at the EnglishDom and I’m here to do a little podcast on baldness. What is baldness, well baldness is the process of losing hair, it’s when this part of your head looks like this part of your head, or when your bum looks like your head, as an idiom we will talk about very soon. So, this process of losing hair means that you are becoming older.
The testosterone in your body does not break down correctly, technically speaking, it becomes DHT(Dihydrotestosterone), a byproduct, so this is the reason why men go bald, I have no idea why women go bald, just unfortunate, anyways we have a few idioms connected to baldness.
Things like, slap head, spam head, bald as a coot. What do they mean?
Well, slap head means, like this (slapping action). People often refer to bald people in Great Britain as a slap head, that’s what it means.
Spam head, spam is a cheap kind of meat and if you observe spam and you observe somebody’s head you can see the resemblance.
Now then bald as a coot, refers to a coot being a small bird. This small bird has little white feathers round the side of its head and in the middle part looks quite bald. So we use the phrase bald as a coot, or as bald as a baby’s backside, because if your child has a hairy bum, I would probably put him back in the Zoo, ok. So many children do not have hairy bums, or they shouldn’t do. So we can say that a gentleman’s head is as bald as a baby’s bum, and that actually all the idioms I can think of.
I hope you have learned something about baldness and anything; any idioms have been cleared up on why we use such phrases. Thank you very much for listening to me once again and feel English and err well feel pretty free really.
There are over 100,000 hairs on the average head and you lose around 100 of these each day.
It is foolish to tear one's hair in grief, as though sorrow would be made less by baldness.
Long hair, short wit.
Little Billy is eating breakfast one morning and gets to thinking about things.
"Mommy, mommy, why does Bald Bill have so few hairs on his head?" he asks his mother.
"He thinks a lot," replies his mother, pleased with herself for coming up with such a quick answer to Little Billy’s question.
Or she is until Billy thinks for a second and asks, "So why do you have so much hair?"
List of questions for discussion
1. How much time and money do you spend on your hair?
2. If you were bald, would you consider a hair transplant?
3. What are the advantages of being bald?
4. Would you ever shave your head?
5. What are the nicknames for bald people in your country?
6. Do you think there should be a World Bald Day – everyone shaves his/her head?
7. Can you imagine a totally bald world?
8. What advice would you give to someone worried about going bald?
9. Do you think combing hair across a bald area of the head to hide the baldness underneath looks good?
10. Which famous people look good bald?
11. Do you think bald men and women are attractive?
12.Do you think it’s a good idea for a bald person to wear a wig?
13. Do you feel sorry for teenagers who start receding or thinning on top?
14. Does hair loss run in the family?
15. Do you think men from different races look good bald?
Для обсуждения данной темы присоединяйтесь к разговорным клубам. Студентам индивидуального курса разговорные клубы предоставляются бесплатно. А если вы предпочитаете обучение в формате разговорных клубов, записывайтесь на групповые занятия.