Rod – прут, розга
Childhood – детство
Discipline – дисциплина
Behavior – поведение
Obedient – послушный
Adult – взрослый
Society – общество
To spank – отшлёпать
To behave – вести себя
To misbehave – плохо вести себя
To raise – растить, воспитывать (детей)
To punish – наказывать
To hit – ударять
To accept – принимать
To justify – оправдывать
To react – реагировать
Spare the rod, spoil the child. – Пожалеешь розгу, испортишь ребёнка.
To look back on – оборачиваться, оглядываться
To look up to – смотреть с почтением на (кого-л.), уважать (кого-л.)
To look down upon – смотреть свысока на (кого-л.), презирать
1. To raise – bring up (a child).
2. Discipline – the practice of training people to obey rules or a code of behavior, using punishment to correct disobedience.
3. To look up to – have a great deal of respect for.
4. To misbehave – behave badly.
5. To punish – inflict a penalty or sanction on someone.
6. To spank – slap with one's open hand or a flat object, esp. on the buttocks as a punishment.
7. To beat around the bush – show or prove to be right or reasonable.
Hello! This is Cari from the online English school, EnglishDom.com. Today, we’re going to talk about children and discipline.
Many people believe that discipline means punishing a child. "Spare the rod, spoil the child" is an ancient saying that is used to justify punishing our children; which often means hitting or spanking our children. Many people say, "If I don’t punish my child when he does something wrong, he will never learn a lesson."
However, many others believe that "Spare the rod, spoil the child" actually refers to discipline; which means teaching your children or guiding your children (teaching them in socially acceptable behaviors; how to behave in the society in ways that are appropriate).
We all think we can do better. Whether we have our own children or not… people have their own ideas about how to discipline children (how children should behave, how parents should react when children misbehave. We get these ideas from our own childhood (how our parents raised us, how we were punished or disciplined as children). But, not only our parents, also, other adults in our life; for example, teachers, or a favorite aunt, or an uncle even.
Looking back on your own childhood, how do you feel about the way your parents disciplined or punished you? Do you look up to your parents or other family members and the way they are raising their children? Do you look down upon people who seem to not be able to control their children?
Parents and other adults in a child’s life are responsible for teaching children how to behave in socially acceptable ways.
What do you think about children and discipline? Please join us in one of our Discussion Clubs or join us in our online forum to discuss this topic further. We look forward to hearing from you.
Feel English and feel free! Bye for now.
A child lives in the soul of every person.
The parent should be a good example and a wise teacher for his child.
He who teaches children learns more than they do. (German Proverb)
Even though he could not tell time, my three-year-old grandson was playing with a wall clock when I visited him.
Later, when I was putting on my coat to leave, I asked him what time it was. He looked at the clock blankly, then brightened.
"It’s time for you to go," he answered triumphantly.
List of questions for discussion
1. Do you like children?
2. Are you good with children?
3. How many children should a couple have?
4. When does a child become an adult?
5. What’s the most irritating think about children?
6. Do you like other people’s children?
7. Do you think children are hard work?
8. Do you think children are spoilt nowadays?
9. Are children becoming more dangerous and violent?
10. What does children discipline mean to you?
11. What do you think children would like to change about their world?
12. How expensive is raising children?
13. What do you think children worry about most?
14. Are you a child at heart?
15. Is it more fun to spend time with children or adults?
Для обсуждения данной темы присоединяйтесь к разговорным клубам. Студентам индивидуального курса разговорные клубы предоставляются бесплатно. А если вы предпочитаете обучение в формате разговорных клубов, записывайтесь на групповые занятия.