Intelligence – интеллект, рассудок, разум, умственные способности
Capacity – вместимость, ёмкость, объём
Knowledge – знание, познания, эрудиция
Stupid – глупый, тупой, бестолковый, дурацкий
Bum – бездельник, лентяй, лодырь
A tail – хвост
Explanation – пояснение, разъяснение
Constantly – непрерывно, непрестанно, постоянно
Certain – точный, определённый
Environment – окружение, окружающая обстановка
Imagination – воображение, фантазия
Education – образование, обучение, подготовка, просвещение
Creatively – созидательный, творческий
Talent – дар, дарование, талант, способность, склонность
Enlightened – освещённый, просвещенный
Effort – усилие, попытка, напряжение, достижение, успех
To store knowledge – накапливать знания
To judge situation – оценить ситуацию
To put thinking cap on – думать о чем-либо более серьезно
Can't make head or tail of it – нельзя понять или тяжело понять
It is beyond me. – Это превыше моего понимания.
1. Bum – a lazy person.
2. Certain – definitely true.
3. Knowledge – all the facts that are known about different things or about life generally.
4. Explanation – a description of how something works or of how to do something.
5. Intelligence – the ability to understand and think about things, and to gain and use knowledge.
6. She doesn’t know anything about it, but will judge situation.
7. He grew up in a harsh urban environment.
8. It’s beyond me why anyone should want to marry him.
9. We are constantly reminded of his success.
10. He was studying all his life and had stored knowledge.
Hello, my name is Andrew and I'm a teacher with the EnglishDom, and I'm yet again here to do another podcast. This podcast will be all about something I'm not too sure, maybe I'm lacking intelligence. Well, intelligence basically is the capacity for knowledge, how we store knowledge, how we process knowledge and basically how we use knowledge, adopt to different environments, how we judge situations. I'm sure that makes a lot of sense now, doesn't it? Yes, intelligence. Very intelligently put Andrew, so if we are going to talk about some idioms with regards to intelligence, we could maybe talk about something like, a cap. A cap is a little hat that goes on your head and something if I'm being a little bit stupid at home, my grandmother will say: "Andrew, put your thinking cap on, son," and this means, come on, just think about it a little harder or if something is difficult you might say: "I'd better put my thinking cap on for this." So, a cap, little hat, thinking, intelligence... Explained.
The next one could be "I can't make head or tail of it". A tail could be on an animal that comes off the back of the animal and helps it balance. We have a tail bone and it's just above our bums, so I can't make head or tail of it. I don't think I want to show you my tail and I don't think you want to see my tail, so if you can't make head or tail of it, it means you can't understand it or it's difficult to understand. That's about to be the explanation I can give you for a very silly saying, but it's constantly used in the English language.
The next one is, I would say "It is beyond me". I can't, I can't understand it, it's beyond me. This means, for instance, something very difficult, let's just say, a doctor, a very intelligent man, who finds certain subjects very easy to understand and then you get someone like me, only kidding, I'm not that stupid, we might get somebody who is not as intelligent. The person who is not as intelligent would say: "Oh, it's beyond me, and it's too difficult and I really do not understand this." Well, that's everything about intelligence.
I hope this has been slightly amusing, maybe made you smile and you're not bored of my ugly face yet. Thank you very much . I'm a teacher with the Englishdom as I have already said. Feel English and feel free. Bye!
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.
Action is the real measure of intelligence.
Intelligence is the best capital.
A stranger was seated next to a blonde on the airplane when the stranger turned to her and said, "Let's talk. I've heard that flights go quicker if you strike up a conversation with your fellow passenger."The blonde, who had just opened her book, closed it slowly and said to the stranger,
- "What would you like to talk about?"
- "Oh, I don't know" said the stranger. "How about nuclear power?" and he smiles.
- "Ok", she said. "That could be an interesting topic. But let me ask you a question first.
A horse, a cow, and a deer all eat the same stuff – grass. Yet a deer excretes little pellets, while a cow turns out a flat patty, and a horse produces clumps of dried grass. Why do you suppose that is?"
The stranger, visibly surprised by the blonde's intelligence, thinks about it and says,
- "Hmmm, I have no idea...."
To which the blonde replies,
- "Do you really feel qualified to discuss nuclear power when you don't know shit?"
List of questions for discussion
1. What would you say about your intelligence?
2. What can you do to increase your intelligence?
3. Why are some people more intelligent than others?
4. Does intelligence run in the family?
5. Does school make a person more intelligent?
6. Do you think scientists will create Artificial Intelligence that is greater than our intelligence?
7. Is there a link between intelligence, creativeness and humour?
8. Does intelligence make people more attractive?
9. Does speaking English will make you more intelligent than a friend who cannot speak English at all?
10. Who is the most intelligent person you know? Why do you think so?
11. Do you think all world leaders are intelligent?
12. Are we all born with the same level of intelligence?
13. Does being very intelligent make you happy?
14. What insults your intelligence?
15. What do you think of intelligence tests? Do you think they are accurate.
Для обсуждения данной темы присоединяйтесь к разговорным клубам. Студентам индивидуального курса разговорные клубы предоставляются бесплатно. А если вы предпочитаете обучение в формате разговорных клубов, записывайтесь на групповые занятия.