Power – сила, мощь, могущество
Ability – способность, возможность (делать что-л.)
Absolute – полный, абсолютный, безусловный
Equilibrium – равновесие, баланс
Compassion – сожаление, сочувствие, участие
Dictatorship – диктатура
Injustice – несправедливость
To accept – принимать, брать, соглашаться
To influence – оказывать влияние, влиять, воздействовать
To control – руководить, командовать, осуществлять власть
To achieve – добиваться, достигать
To limit – ограничивать, ставить предел
To operate – оказывать воздействие, влиять (на кого-л./что-л.)
The power of prayer – сила молитвы
More power to you. – Тебе и карты в руки.
On a power trip – очень много власти
Knowledge is power. – Знания – сила.
Money is power. – Деньги – власть.
Absolute power corrupts absolutely. – Абсолютная власть полностью разлагает.
1. To control – to have the power to make decisions and decide what will happen to something.
2. To influence – the ability to influence or control what people do or think.
3. To accept – to agree to do what someone asks or suggests.
4. Compassion – a feeling of sympathy for someone who is in a bad situation because you understand and care about them.
5. Power – if an organization or company operates, it does its work.
6. Teachers constantly rate knowledge, skills, and decision-making ability.
7. "At the lectures I went to they did not teach us how to operate tiresome people.
8. Mechanical equilibrium is established after leveling inlet tissue and capillary pressure.
9. The description presented here must not limit the present invention to the embodiments disclosed in it.
10. The proletarian dictatorship is just a bridge between the bourgeois and the socialist society.
Hi, this is Cari from the online English school, EnglishDom. com. Today, we’re going to chat about power. Power is when you have the ability or the control to achieve something that you want.
So, here I am in front of one of the government buildings here in Mexico. Often, when we think of power we think of the government and what they can do or not do for us. (Uh) But we also have power over our own lives (within our families, (uh) amongst our friends, possibly). What forms of power do you have in your life?
Some phrases or idioms we can use about power:
The power of prayer. If you can hear in the background here, we’re also in front of a church. And the power of prayer is very powerful for many people and brings a lot of good to people’s lives.
More power to you is a phrase we use. Someone says they’re going to do something and we don’t really care, we might say, "More power to you." Which kind of means, well, whatever you want. Go ahead, try it. We’ll see what happens.
If someone is on a power trip it means that they have too much control or they feel too powerful (maybe they use their power in a negative way).
There’s an idiom, actually two idioms that are related. One is, knowledge is power, the other is money is power. So these, I think we all know what they mean, so I’m gonna leave it to you to show up on our Facebook forum or in one of our discussion clubs to share your ideas about these two idioms.
And, the final one is a saying from many years ago… absolute power corrupts absolutely. So, this means that people who have absolute power (there’s no check and balances to help them maintain equilibrium) they often use the power absolutely, without fear or without compassion. And, this is often where we get dictatorships from.
So, as I mentioned, please join us to discuss your opinions about this topic. And, we hope to hear from you soon. Feel English and feel free. Bye for now.
0.3% of solar energy from the Sahara is enough to power the whole of Europe.
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. (Abraham Lincoln)
The word of a powerful man is the truth. (Bambara Proverb)
A woman and her little girl were visitng the grave of the little girl's grandmother. On their way through the cemetary back to the car, the little girl asked, "Mommy, do they ever bury two people in the same grave?"
"Of course not, dear." replied the mother, "Why would you think that?"
"The tombstone back there said "Here lies a lawyer and an honest man."
List of questions for discussion
1. What would you like the power to be able to do?
2. Do politicians in your country abuse their political power?
3. When was the last time there was a power struggle in your country?
4. To what degree do you think money is power?
5. How much economic power does your country have in your region and in the world?
6. What do you think of colonial power?
7. What do corrupt leaders do to hold on to their power?
8. Do you believe in the power of prayer?
9. What would the world be like if everyone had the same power?
10. What do you think of the power of nature?
11. Mao Zedong said: "Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." Do you agree with him?
12. Lord Acton said: "Power tends to corrupt, absolute power corrupts absolutely." Do you agree with this?
13. People in today’s Internet age say knowledge is power. Do you feel more powerful?
14. If you had lots of power, what would you do with it?
15. Which is the world’s most dangerous power?
Для обсуждения данной темы присоединяйтесь к разговорным клубам. Студентам индивидуального курса разговорные клубы предоставляются бесплатно. А если вы предпочитаете обучение в формате разговорных клубов, записывайтесь на групповые занятия.