Tip – подсказка, рекомендация
Knowledge – знание
Brain – мозг, умственные способности
Review – обзор, обозрение
Repetition – повторение
Efficiently – рационально, разумно
Self-improvement – самосовершенствование
Grade – отметка, оценка
Skill – умение, навык
Distraction – отвлечение внимания
Fatigue – усталость, утомление
Exertion – напряжение, усилие
Sponge – губка
To acknowledge – сознавать, допускать, признавать
To assimilate – усваивать, впитывать (пищу, информацию)
To calm down – успокаиваться
To distract – отвлекать, уводить в сторону
To refresh – обновлять, поправлять
To maintain – сохранять, поддерживать
To evaluate – оценивать
1. Self-improvement – the improvement of one's knowledge, status, or character by one's own efforts.
2. Grade – a mark indicating the quality of a student's work.
3. Skill – the ability to do something well; expertise.
4. Distraction – a thing that prevents someone from giving full attention to something else.
5. Self-control – extreme tiredness, typically resulting from mental or physical exertion or illness.
6. A woman whose husband has just died needs activity to distract her from her grief.
7. The play has been showing for so long, it now needs to be refreshed with some new details.
8. He was standing with a bucket of icy water in one hand and a wet sponge in the other.
9. He was evaluated as unfit for military service.
10. The power of thinking depends upon the brain.
Hi. This is Cari from the online English school, EnglishDom.com. Today, I’m going to talk about study tips. Study tips are little suggestions to help you study English more efficiently.
The first tip is to activate your prior knowledge. This means that, before you study, whether it’s in class or doing your homework, you need to get your brain ready for the information. You do this by thinking or speaking about the topic using the information that you already know.
• For example, you can describe a photo: use the WH-words (who, what, when, where and why) and talk about what you see in the picture.
• If you are going on a vacation, for example, you can talk about your last vacation, your best vacation, your worst vacation, or the vacation you hope to take.
• You can sing a song! Sing a song that you are familiar with (that you know the words to). Again, the idea is just to use the information you know in a comfortable way to get your brain ready to hear and speak in English.
• Read something familiar or even write a short paragraph about what you did today or what you’ll do later.
A second tip is to do a little English every day. It doesn’t have to be long, just 5 or 10 minutes a day is enough to keep your brain thinking in English, or translating if you’re still at that level. That’s okay, eventually, you will start to think in your new language.
You want to do different kinds of methods to learn. Think about reading, writing, listening and speaking activities. You can do things like draw a picture, make lists, write a story, read an article, watch a video. Don’t always do the same kind of activities. Whether studying vocabulary or grammar, you can get your brain thinking about the topic you know and using the information you know in different ways so it stays interesting.
Another tip is to find a friend. There are many people who are looking for other people to practice English with. You don’t always have to speak with a native speaker. Other English students are great practice partners. There are many chats and forums available online for practicing English. And, when you join our Discussion Clubs at EnglishDom.com, participate! Don’t be afraid to make mistakes. Share your information with us and just make sure you give others a chance to speak also.
Find a topic that’s interesting to you and study that in English. Whether it’s your favorite sport or a hobby, there’s a lot of information you already know about it and now you can learn it in another language.
And finally, make sure you review and practice what you’re learning in class. Again, don’t be afraid to make those mistakes, but if you do…learn from the mistakes you make. It takes a lot of repetition to learn something new. You’re not going to (necessarily) remember it the first or second time you see it.
So, please join us in one of our Discussion Clubs to practice or join us in the forum on our Facebook page and share your study tips with others. We hope to hear from you soon. Feel English and feel free! Bye for now.
The human brain has the capacity to store everything that you experience.
Study without reflection is a waste of time; reflection without study is dangerous.
The bitterness of studying is preferable to the bitterness of ignorance.
A student comes to a young professor's office hours. She glances down the hall, closes his door, and kneels pleadingly. "I would do anything to pass this exam."
She leans closer to him, flips back her hair, gazes meaningfully into his eyes. "I mean," she whispers, "I would do anything."
He returns her gaze. "Anything?"
His voice turns to a whisper. "Would you... study?"
List of questions for discussion
1. What comes to mind when you hear the expression "study tips"?
2. What study tips do you know?
3. What study tips are important to remember in order to be a successful student?
4. What study tips were you taught at school?
5. Does studying only happen at school?
6. What’s the most fun you’ve had while studying?
7. What study tips are important for studying English?
8. Can the Internet be one of the study tips? Why?
9. Do you think people in different countries study in the same way as you or they have different study tips?
10. Do all students actually study or do some find ways to do their work without anything staying in their brains?
11. When do people stop studying?
12. Why are some people much better at studying than others?
13. What good study skills do you have?
14. What are the best study tips for getting ready for exams?
15. What are the most interesting study tips you know?
Для обсуждения данной темы присоединяйтесь к разговорным клубам. Студентам индивидуального курса разговорные клубы предоставляются бесплатно. А если вы предпочитаете обучение в формате разговорных клубов, записывайтесь на групповые занятия.